1 make strong or stronger; "This exercise will strengthen your upper body"; "strenghten the relations between the two countries" [syn: beef up, fortify] [ant: weaken]
2 gain strength; "His body strengthened" [ant: weaken]
- To make strong or stronger; to add strength to; to increase the strenght of; as, to strengthen a limb, a bridge, an army; to strengthen an obligation; to strengthen authority; to fortify; to reinforce.
- To animate; to give moral strength; to encourage; to fix in resolution; to hearten.
- To augment; to improve; to intensify.
- To grow strong or stronger.
- 1851: Anonymous, Arthur Hamilton, and His Dog
- A little hardship, and a little struggling with the rougher elements of life, will perchance but strengthen and increase his courage, and prepare him for the conflicts and struggles of after years.
to make strong or stronger
to grow strong or stronger
accelerate, accrue, accumulate, add to, advance, affirm, aggravate, animate, anneal, appreciate, attest, augment, authenticate, back, back up, balloon, be tough, bear out, beef up, bloat, blow up, bolster, boom, boost, brace, brace up, breed, broaden, buttress, case harden, certify, cheer, chirk up, circumstantiate, complicate, concentrate, condense, confirm, consolidate, corroborate, crescendo, deepen, develop, document, double, embolden, encourage, endure, energize, enhance, exacerbate, exaggerate, fortify, gain, gain strength, gelt, get ahead, gird, go up, grow, hang tough, harden, hearten, heat up, heighten, hop up, hot up, increase, inspirit, intensify, invigorate, jazz up, key up, magnify, make complex, mount, multiply, nerve, nourish, nutrify, prepare, probate, proliferate, prop, prove, ramify, ratify, ready, recruit, redouble, refresh, reinforce, reinvigorate, rejuvenate, renew, restrengthen, rigidify, rise, run up, screw up, sharpen, shoot up, shore up, sinew, snowball, soup up, spread, steel, step up, stiffen, substantiate, supplement, support, sustain, swell, temper, tense, tighten, tone up, toughen, trice up, triple, undergird, uphold, validate, verify, vitalize, warrant, wax, whet, widen